Thursday, August 2, 2007

Michigan Trip Binder Park Zoo

It's been a long time since I've ventured back north to the great white tundra. People often ask why, and my reply has been "last time I went home in Feb. '96 we set record lows every day". Well it was time to show off the little girl so we packed her up and flew north for the summer; at least a week out of the summer.

During this very short stay, I realized that when I left it all behind (not looking back) I did not retain many memories of the area. Things do not seem nearly as large: distances are much shorter, rivers and lakes smaller, and houses are more modest. With this realization I told everyone I saw that future visits would be much more frequent.
The trip started out with a visit to the Crumptons who live in Detroit. We flew into DTW on Tuesday, July 24th and went straight to Cousin Debbie's house. The following days were spent in Battle Creek at Mimi's house where we were visited frequently by family. On Saturday, July 28th (my birthday) we went to Aunt Sally and Uncle Bob's place on Blossom Lake where a Johnson family reunion ensued. Beer drinking, swimming, and pontoon boat rides made for a beautiful day, not to mention seeing all of the family amongst which I was raised.
One beautiful afternoon Melanie and I, my cousin Aaron, and a high school buddy Gary headed off to the Binder Park Zoo with all the kids (including Trevor's 2 daughters Liv and Belle) to experience "Wild Africa".

Drew, Belle, Ryan, Jane (Not seen but behind Ryan, one of Gary's twin daughters), Gary and Natalie






The twins scheming on how to get Corinne out and themselves in.
Interesting fact: twins are notorious for sibling conspiracy and will stop at nothing to accomplish a task-Good Luck Gary!!!





Speaking of... Where are the twins?????


"Carousel Belle"





Kaleb, stuck on the giraffe that didn't move up and down.

Liv...Ridin' a cheetah (Aaron left and Belle behind)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a chance to take the girls to Mich. Next trip you will have to take them to the "island" so they can be fudgies!
Or take them in the fall....there is still nothing quite like crisp apples from the orchard and the color of fall leaves in October in Michigan.
berta